Did you make any resolutions for 2017? Personal? Professional? Financial? We all have good intentions when it comes to setting goals that will help us improve our lives, but staying motivated and on track throughout the year can be challenging.
To help keep you moving toward your goals in 2017, I've created a month-by-month checklist of key financial tasks that will keep your finances in good health all year long.
- Establish a will or trust with an estate attorney.
- Create a budget.
- Get ahead on your mortgage.
- Review life, home and auto insurance.
- Revisit beneficiary designations for life insurance and retirement accounts.
- Check your investment portfolio allocations and current holdings.
- Explore loans, grants, and other sources of financial aid.
- Review your online social security statement.
- Review 401(k), IRA, and SEP plans.
- Check your credit report.
- Shred old documents.
- Research 529 savings plans.
- Review online accounts.
- Assess your overall investment goals and strategy.
- Revisit your budget.
- Contact your CPA for year-end tax planning.
- Consider charitable giving.
- Review the balance in your flexible spending account (FSA).
- Consider refinancing high-interest debt.
- Commit to paying off credit card balances every month in the new year.
Breaking down your financial to-do list into a few tasks per month makes it easy to keep your finances in good health, and increase your sense of financial security.
For more details on each checklist item, download our 2017 Monthly Financial Checklist:
As a guest blogger, I'm unable to respond to comments posted below, but if you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to help!
*Kristen Zavaski is a guest blogger, representing Axial Financial Group in Burlington, MA. She offers securities as a Registered Representative of Commonwealth Financial Network, Member FINRA/SIPC. CRR, LLP (also represented as CRR, CRR CPA), Axial Financial Group, and Commonwealth Financial Network are separate and unrelated entities. Kristen can be reached at 781-273-1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This material has been provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute either tax or legal advice. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend that you consult a tax preparer, professional tax advisor, or lawyer.